By Amy Korb, Executive Director, The Community Fund
Nov. 4, 2020: The Community Fund ("T.C.F.") - continuing its excellence through giving - has launched its 2021 Annual Campaign.
T.C.F. continues to be a community leader in the "local giving" movement. The Fund strives to find effective ways to build a greater community that highlights the impact of the Fund to all residents, and 2020 was no exception.
Over and above the $550,000 distributed to local agencies last year, the Fund distributed $120,000 this past Spring to local organizations supporting the people hardest hit by the pandemic in Bronxville, Tuckahoe, Eastchester, Mt. Vernon, and Yonkers through the Covid19 Relief Fund.
"The organization felt a pressing need to support local agencies who are providing food, medical care, and shelter among other basic services to those disproportionately affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19)," said Amy Korb, Executive Director of the Community Fund. "With this unique fund, we were able to open our service area to our neighbors in Mt. Vernon and Yonkers, offering meaningful support to those that need it most."
An additional $130,000 is in the process of being granted through the second round of the emergency fund.
Serving the Community for over 100 Years
The Community Fund of Bronxville, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe raises funds for the over 25 non-profit social-service agencies and community programs that rely on grants made directly from The Community Fund. Senior programming, youth services, education and prevention programs all rely on dollars given by the Fund.
As the organization adapts to the next 100 years, a more pronounced emphasis is now being put into Community programming that directly affects our residents.
The Community Fund had an especially impactful year. In addition to the ongoing financial assistance provided to our local charitable agencies, the Community Fund made substantial gifts to improve the health and wellness of all our residents through one time discretionary grant funding to:
- a youth survey administered to all school districts to study the health and wellness of our children
- a motivational speaker for local high schools students on compassion and forgiveness
- a mindfulness program for 400 middle school students
- an integrated art program in partnership with OSilas Gallery geared towards special needs high school students.
For 100 years, The Community Fund has consistently supported key community programs for the residents of the Bronxville 10708, Eastchester and Tuckahoe (B.E.T.) area, including:
- Drug, Alcohol, and Vaping education and awareness programs for children and parents, provided by the Maxwell Institute and Eastchester and Tuckahoe D.A.R.E.
- Counseling and support services offered to families through the Cancer Support Team and the Bereavement Center.
- Youth programs designed to foster positive relationships with local police, local municipalities, and P.T.A.'s
- Programs and support services for our seniors provided by Eastchester Senior Programs & Services, Gramatan Village, and the Bronxville and Tuckahoe Senior Centers
- A new ambulance every three years for the Eastchester Ambulance Corp.
"We are incredibly grateful for the support of those who so generously give their time and resources to support the Community Fund," stated Amy Korb, Executive Director of the Fund. Korb continues, "Because of our residents' generosity, we are able to give support to the programs and agencies that make a direct impact on our community. The Community Fund truly believes in local giving for local needs."
Alison Strong, Campaign Co-Chair for Bronxville, added, "When I moved to Bronxville, the one nonprofit I chose to really give back to was T.C.F. Our neighbors need our support, and I've seen firsthand how the grants we make change lives. It's an honor to chair the annual campaign fund because I know that every dollar we raise will be allocated back to our community. That's a win for all of us. ."
The Annual Campaign each fall is the Community Fund's principal source of fundraising each year. Its success determines the number of grant allocations distributed to the Fund's member agencies and community programs serving the residents of Bronxville 10708, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe.
Contributions can be made on The Community Fund website www.thecommunityfund.org, by phone (914) 337-8808 or by sending your pledge, cash or check made payable to The Community Fund, 17 Sagamore Road, Bronxville, NY 10708.
Photo courtesy The Community Fund
Editor's note: As a public service, MyhometownBronxville publishes articles from local institutions, officeholders, and individuals. MyhometownBronxville does not fact-check statements therein, and any opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the thinking of its staff.