By Susan Miele
Feb. 7, 2018: Love is in the air (and not only because we now have Love My Shoes, One Love, and Ladle of Love in town). With Valentine’s Day approaching, it’s time to show your love—not only to your sweethearts but also to your local businesses. Fortunately, this is an easy task, with an abundance of first-class sources for gifts, décor, greetings, and nights on the town.
Read on for more than 20 great ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day while reinvesting your dollars in the community where you live and work. You’ll gift yourself in doing so.
1. Sending flowers? Maximize your investment and support your local florist. Mrs. Morgan’s Flower Shop and The Flower Shop of Tryforos and Pernice provide unbeatable quality and service. Order in advance.
2. Choose something dazzling--and take 20% off--at Bronxville Jewelers.
3. Express your love in diamonds, gold, or precious stones from the estate case at LaGravinese Jewelers.
4. Find sweets for your sweetie at Candy Rox, including customized gift baskets, college care packages, long-stemmed chocolate roses, chocolate truffles by Li-Lac Chocolates, Stuffed Hug Meez, Dabomb LOVE Bathfizzers, Valentine’s-themed squishies, heart-themed Popsockets, mermaid heart pillows, fashion accessories, and, of course, holiday-themed candies in many varieties.
5. Order a heart-shaped ice-cream cake from Häagen-Dazs.
6. Dip into cheese fondue with the makings from Dobbs & Bishop Fine Cheeses. Also, Dobbs & Bishop is having a special evening of champagne, caviar, and cheese on February 9 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. Email to register:
7. Feast on French macarons dipped in chocolate, long-stem strawberries, colorful meringues (gluten-free), and assorted delectable desserts at Chantilly Patisserie.
8. Dinner and a movie? Take in an Oscar contender at Bow Tie Cinemas and a passion roll at Haiku Asian Bistro.
9. Unwind with a couples massage at Bronxville Wellness Sanctuary or give the gift of wellness and relaxation with a gift card.
10. Snag the Valentine’s Day Gift Set from Found Herbal Apothecary, featuring Cinnamon + Kava Massage Oil, Lover’s Elixir (designed to promote connection, open the heart, and awaken the senses), Heart Tea, Rose Honey, and Rose Salt Soak.
11. Enjoy a delicious meal. Underhills Crossing has a special Valentine’s Day menu, plus roses for the ladies and live piano music. Scalini Osteria is also having a special Valentine’s Day menu, along with a special drink and dessert.
12. Shop the Valentine’s Day sale and save up to 50% on select items now through February 14 at Love My Shoes. You can also find handbags, jewelry, and small hostess gifts at Lola.
13. Cozy up in a cuddly sweater from Toney Toni and the Gang or indulge the woman in your life in any of the great fashion merchandise.
14. Sign up for a class together—social dancing, salsa, cooking, golf, wine study, or boating, to name just a few—with the Bronxville Adult School.
15. Frame a testament to your love at J Pocker & Son or create a photo gift at Lewiko Imaging Art.
16. Take advantage of Valentine’s Day specials at Fabio’s Hair Studio: a conditioning treatment and blow-dry for $40 and select hair-care products at 20% off (February 14 to 18).
17. Drape her in fur from Bronxville Furrier.
18. Please all palates with the whimsical Valentine cookies in assorted designs at Topps Bakery.
19. Browse the assorted gift and décor items at The Silk Road—including heart-shaped dishes, “be mine” plates, chocolates, and candles. You can also find lovely jewelry and accessories at the special Michelle May Pop-up Store at Silk Road on February 9 and 10. Also, you'll find really great clothes in the Elizabeth Ackerman pop-up shop in Bronxville, right next to Dobbs and Bishop.
20. Not sure things are going so well with your Valentine? Avoid unhealthy relationships by consulting with One Love or The Counseling Center.
Photo by N. Bower