Bronxville School Presents Recommended Opening Plan for the Fall

By Staff
Jul. 29, 2020: At the Bronxville School Board of Education meeting last evening, July 28, Dr. Roy Montesano, Superintendent of the Bronxville School, presented the School's recommended reopening plan for the fall. This plan needs to be submitted to the State for approval by July 31st.
Dr. Montesano said that the School had developed a plan that allows it to be flexible and fluid during these uncertain times so that the School can move seamlessly from in-person to remote learning if needed.
Dr. Montesano said the recommended plan is that School will start on September 8 and have half days for the first week to allow teachers and students to adjust.
The reopening plan recommends that Elementary and Middle School Students return for full in-person instruction on the 8th. Families that don't want their children to do in-school classes can have them attend remotely from home.
Dr. Montensano explained that students would use various entrances, and teachers would use outdoor space when possible. The School will use other large spaces in the building for classroom and lunch space. The School will also limit the movement of students where possible.
The plan recommends that the High School open with a hybrid model with half of the students attending in the morning and half attending in the afternoon. When not in the building, the group at home will attend remotely through zoom. This schedule will rotate every two days. The transition will occur midday, and there will be no lunch at School. If all goes well, the High School could transition to full-day in-school instruction later in the fall.
Dr. Montesano explained that there would be a daily questionnaire for parents to complete for their students, and there will be a temperature screening at the School entrances. All staff and students will be required to wear face coverings, and the School would "build breaks in the day," such as going outside to take the masks off. He said that most classrooms would have desks placed 6-feet apart, and desks will include plastic barriers or desk shields between students.
There will be hand sanitizing stations and well as signs in the School about proper handwashing. There will also be signs about which way to walk in a hallway.
The School is installing filters in the air conditioning systems where possible and will have windows open for airflow. The School is also looking into renting or purchasing tents for lunchtime and classroom space. The School has purchased specialized cleaning equipment and has a new Health Suite that includes an isolation area.
Dr. Montensano also said that the School is very focused on the social and emotional wellbeing of the students and staff and will offer continuous services.
Regarding sports, last week, the New York Public High School Athletic Association (NYPHSSAA) voted to delay the start of the fall high school sports season until September 21st. The School will evaluate its club offerings after the first couple of weeks of School.
Dr. Montensano explained that if there is a positive COVID-19 case at the School, the School will follow specific instructions from the New York State Department of Health.
School Board member, Jonathan Atkeson, noted that this is a dynamic plan, and parental feedback is welcome.











